There’s a reason that veterinarians recommend that dogs stick to dog food and that’s because many human foods that are dangerous for dogs to ingest. Yes, there are some varieties of fresh produce that are safe for dogs, however, it’s important to know the ones that are not. Grapes, currants, and raisins are toxic to our four-legged friends. In fact, one grape can actually cause kidney failure, so steer clear. According to Dr. Ann Hohenhaus of NYC’s Animal Medical Center, onions, chives, and leeks are bad for dogs because of a toxic substance called N-propyl disulfide. And if your pup takes so much as one small bite of a wild mushroom, call the vet immediately. To be safe, if you think your dog ingested something potentially toxic, call your emergency vet or ASPCA’s Poison Control Helpline.
- While some human food is safe for dogs, including some varieties of produce, it is important to know which foods are toxic for dogs to ingest.
- Wild mushrooms are extremely toxic for our four-legged friends, so call poison control immediately if you suspect your pooch took even a nibble of one.
- Rhubarb is especially poisonous for dogs because it contains oxalate crystals, which can deplete calcium and cause renal failure.
“We love sharing snacks with them, especially if we know that they’re wholesome, but it’s first important to know which foods to avoid giving to our pets.”